RC518.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to all the news, info, and happenings of all things radio controlled in the 518 area code.

*RC518 IS BACK AND ONLINE!!!!*

+4
rtourge
Robs Extreme rc
Enforcerman
brettweir78
8 posters

Goose Chase

brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Goose Chase - Page 3 Empty Re: Goose Chase

Post  brettweir78 Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:06 pm

Dave did you race the goose on sat night? If so how did it go?
    Harleyrider
    Harleyrider
    Micro-T

Post  Harleyrider Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Robs Extreme rc wrote:There will be classes for everyone who wants to race. This is after all supposed to be fun. I respect everyones opinion of how a class should be made up. Not everyone can have ABC Hobby paint their body. These are after all race cars and have racing paint schemes. Dont be put off if you cant paint your body that well you will have a place to race!!!!!!!
    I was hoping that there would be a spot for me to race I don't want to have to spend a thousand dollars on a paint job for a fourty dollar body and I'm not a pro painter.Sounds like the rules might be to rich for my blood.
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Roy, it doesn't take a lot of fancy paint to make the car look awsome. The pics I posted show what I did with mine. ABC supplies some real good sticker packs with the cars. The only problem I had with them is that I don't read japanese. Pick your color carefully and it will look great. I am no expert and I am pretty happy with the way mine turned out. I would love to have a body painted by ABC they sure do a great job, but if I spent 80-90 bucks on a lid I sure would not be banging it around a race track. I folowed the setup instructions on RCtech and the car really came around. I have been running the car in the driveway and it is finally pleasing to drive. the handleing is very realistic. I would like to get some video of the cars running the track.
    savage308
    Mini-Z

Post  savage308 Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 pm

The car really does handle good very fun to drive i drove it on carpet sat night (wasnt any racing no one showed but me haha) handled good tho does prolly need the spring kit but other than that fun to drive and i set up a little oval today on asphalt really fun and very realistic i think it will be a very good class looking foward to racing
    Enforcerman
    RedCat

Post  Enforcerman Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Brett is right, you don't need to have an expensive custom paint job by ABC or anyone else for that matter. All I'm saying is I would like everyone to respect the spirit of this class and just do the best paint job they are capable of. In most of the other racing classes there is no real body or paint rules, and I'm just trying to make this class a little different and more realistic. You don't have to "break the bank" to do it. A spray can of paint is around $6 from what I recall.

If you follow what's going on with on-road racing across the country, you will see that "scale racing" whether it be VTA or WGT is the new thing in on-road racing. I happen to agree with it and am trying to bring it to our area.

Like Rob says, there will be a class for everyone to race in.

Brett, no I did not race Saturday. I will be racing Trans Am next Saturday the 23rd though. Going to try to get to the track this week sometime to do more testing with the Goose.
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:44 pm

ok, i will be there sat i hope. maybe we can run Trans Am and Goose
    DBMach1
    Mini-Z

Post  DBMach1 Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Hey Harleyrider, Bret and Dave are right. It doesn't take much more than a can of paint to have a good paint job. One color and the decals that come with the kit are all you need. The car comes with everything and little is needed in terms of hop-ups (probably springs). This looks to be a fun class and part of the idea is to make the cars look realistic. But, bottom line, it's meant to be a fun class.

Brian and I'll be at Ken's on Saturday running at least the Trans-Am cars.
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes you really need the spring kit. Well at least the yellow and red sets. it really makes a huge difference.
    DBMach1
    Mini-Z

Post  DBMach1 Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:22 pm

The points system sounds good. I do agree not everyone will be there week after week. Any other ideas for points?
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:45 pm

I ran the goose at RCH tonight. It really runs really well on the carpet. Looking forward to racing on sat.
    Enforcerman
    RedCat

Post  Enforcerman Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi Brett,

Myself, Dominic and Brian will be there Saturday afternoon. I'll probably be there around 3:00. Bring your Trans am car too!

I don't know if any other racers will be there for any other classes though.

Dave
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Im good with running the goose and trans am. I hope Dominic and Brian are bringing theirs too. Got the new tires on the Trans Am and ran that for a little while. Had to gear up a little but it was flying.
    DBMach1
    Mini-Z

Post  DBMach1 Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Brian and I will be there with the Trans Am cars. I'm not sure what time Brian is done working but I'm guessing about 4pm.
    Enforcerman
    RedCat

Post  Enforcerman Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Brett, glad to hear that you will be there Saturday.

I thought you ought to know that I am very close to making an important change to the Trans Am rules with regards to the wheels and tires. I don't want to go into it on this forum at the moment until certain things are in place. So, to anyone in the Trans Am class: Don't buy any more tires/wheels for the moment, as there may be a change coming soon!

Stay tuned; I will post changes on rc518.org

Thank you
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Ok dave. The sweep tires I am running are a set I had bought for another car that didn't fit. So it was a bonus that they fit the goose. I still have not tried the abc tires although I think they are a little, grippier.
    Enforcerman
    RedCat

Post  Enforcerman Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Yeah, I also bought a set of the mini Sweeps for my Goose. I plan on using the Sweeps for outdoors and the ABC tires/wheels for indoors on carpet. I painted the mini Sweep wheels the same as my ABC wheels; they came out great!

Brett, what are your thoughts with regards to the Goose rules package as well as the Goose point series that I outlined on this thread the other day.

Also, on a different subject: Just so there is no confusion; the wheel/tire change I'm considering is for the 1/10 Vintage Trans Am pan car class only! Details to follow next week hopefully.

Stay tuned all Vintage Trans Am racers; I will probably post about this on a separate thread, as this thread is for the Goose Chase.
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 am

The rules and points all look good. I just finished reading the thread about the ABC race series in 2009 in cali over on RCtech (all 71 pages) looks like they had a lot of fun but it died off in jan of 2011. some good rules setup wise. I think we should be good with what we have now. I hope we can do some racing saterday. I need some racing.
    Enforcerman
    RedCat

Post  Enforcerman Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:32 am

Over on the RCH thread, Ken said that he will be out of town this weekend and that Chris will be running the store. He wasn't planning on anyone racing as no one has been there the past 2 weeks. Not sure what to do now. I will try to talk to Chris tomorrow and see what he says.

If all else fails, I will still go to the track Saturday afternoon to test my Goose.
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:04 am

Sounds good to me. If we just have a small group im sure cris can handle it. We did the same with the mini late models in the past. Just some good for the fun of it racing.
    Enforcerman
    RedCat

Post  Enforcerman Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Brett, I called Chris at RCH today and he might be willing to stay if we want to race. He said that we would have no corner marshalls as likely no one else would be there, and he would be running the computer.

If we do this, what time would you be there?
    Robs Extreme rc
    Robs Extreme rc
    SCTE

Post  Robs Extreme rc Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Sold another Goose today. That bring the total to 7. Nice little class so far.
    brettweir78
    brettweir78
    8IGHT

Post  brettweir78 Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:26 am

We ran the goose cars tonight at rch. It is a fun class, but these cars are a real handfull to drive. We will have to see what the asphalt brings.
    Enforcerman
    RedCat

Post  Enforcerman Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Brett, when I got home last night I did a lot of changes to my Goose

I put both weight sets back on the front of the car to balance it. I also added the sway bar set to the front; I used the lightest of the 3 bars. Chris said that will help control the side roll of the car and help with the traction rolling. I also ordered the heavy duty servo saver from ABC to replace the stock one.

On the transmitter I dialed the throttle back to 70% and I turned the dual rate on the steering up to 90% and added about 50% steering expo. My transmitter also has traction control as an available feature, so I activated that as well. This will help with accelerating off the line and out of tight corners, especially on asphalt.

All of these changes were inspired by conversations with you and Chris last night.

I will try to get over to RCH some time this week to try it all out and see what progress, if any, I have made. I will post on here with the results.
    savage308
    Mini-Z

Post  savage308 Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Did some testing on carpet this weekend noticed a slight traction roll off power on corner entry i feel it was mostly due to soft rear springs bouncing into corners i had the front stiff but rear was just to soft maybe much higher weight oil to slow dampining any similar thoughts with ur testing? i mean other than that it ran great very fun and realistic
    Enforcerman
    RedCat

Post  Enforcerman Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:18 pm

savage, which rear springs were you using? Brett and I have been using the yellow springs in the front and the red springs in the rear. The red springs are fairly soft. I experienced traction roll in the sweeper at the end of the front straight.
    Give us an idea of your overall setup please.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content