RC518.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to all the news, info, and happenings of all things radio controlled in the 518 area code.

*RC518 IS BACK AND ONLINE!!!!*

+7
KyleC
rtourge
WheelMan
64dcar
axialcrawler
newgenrc racing
dirtbus3
11 posters

this is a survey about a r/c dirt track at malta speedway

dirtbus3
    dirtbus3
    Mini-Z

this is a survey about a r/c dirt track  at malta speedway Empty this is a survey about a r/c dirt track at malta speedway

Post  dirtbus3 Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:05 pm

i am in talks with Malta speedway to build a dirt off road r/c track to run this summer he is asking a lot of questions about what we are looking for in a track

how big of a track
    how many racers will support this
    what day to race
    are we going to keep points
    if there is going to be end of year prizes

gust keep in mind every one has asked to to talk to Bruce Richard's about this and he told me he will meet with me at the track to go over a location for the track so help me by telling me if you will go to this and i can go on this site and show him we want this track Bruce has all the stuff to build a great track for us to run on we need this for us of road guys

please be honest about is post i need to know what you think or if im gust wasting my time

thank you patrick mangini
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

this is a survey about a r/c dirt track  at malta speedway Empty Re: this is a survey about a r/c dirt track at malta speedway

Post  newgenrc racing Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 am

in my opinion
    probably around 150x85ft, i assume many, points arent really necesarry, race saturday, heres the problem, we will need power and bathrooms, a water supply, man power, as well as some equipment. if we were to put in a lap timing system, and to have an underground one, we would have to go amb, which means cost, so we would have to charge something to race. but even if we dont put in a timing system, if we just built a track and had power i think we could get a lot of people and maybe put in a timing system later.
    axialcrawler
    axialcrawler
    Mini-T

this is a survey about a r/c dirt track  at malta speedway Empty Re: this is a survey about a r/c dirt track at malta speedway

Post  axialcrawler Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:14 pm

thank you for the positive input luckly where the track will be built is located on an old gocart track that has been leveled out so theres already a bathroom and power which will save tons of work and the track owner has tracters to aid in the building of the track and a big pile of clay already to be used for jumps so it would be a totally clay track which is a noter bonus and for the timing system i was think first we would build the track see how many pepole show up then if we get enough pepole we would be able to by the timing system whithout worring about no one showing up and having a usless timing system so i agree whith you there thanks agin for the positive feed back im hopping this will hapen the owner is willing to do what it takes as long as some pepole show up also it will have a drivers stand so you dont have to stand in random spots around the track big plus

newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Sounds perfect. One more thing do we have a water supply. And well need voulenteers maybe we could get some donations
    axialcrawler
    axialcrawler
    Mini-T

Post  axialcrawler Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 pm

water should not be a problem and we have a few pepole to help work on it but the more pepole putting in suggestions the better
    64dcar
    Micro-T

Post  64dcar Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Last edited by 64dcar on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Ya but the only problem is that we need cash to build it
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 pm

What would the track dimensions ne?
    WheelMan
    WheelMan

Post  WheelMan Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:40 pm

All this is great and I do not wish to be a downer on this idea, but here are a few issues. I have dealt with Bruce Richards (track owner) for almost my entire life and I would be very cautious when dealing with him. He will do anything to anyone to make a dollar. The location of being off the back stretch at the old karting grounds is the best location. I am not sure if there is still power out there or not. The old water main for filling the water trucks is out there as well but I am unsure if it is still hooked up. He is not just going to let you use his equipment, you will probably have to supply your own. I am sure there will be a good price tag for you to use the property as well. You will be using his water and electricity so that would come at a price. The scoring loop, barriers, and all the other things for the track you are going to have to foot the bill for. This is a very tall task for someone to take on. I wish you the best of luck and really hope this works out. All I am saying is you might want to shop around for a better spot or a better land lord I should say.
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 pm

http://otcmx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/IMG00035-20100309-15465.jpg
    rtourge
    rtourge
    Micro-T

Post  rtourge Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am

This isn't a what if situation. People have already spoke with the owner about it. It's an "if you build it, they will come" kind of thing.

I don't think anyone expects the owner to foot the bill or provide us all a free ride. We all pay to race now as it is, so this wouldn't be any different.

I saw a sign up sheet going around RCH. It was filled and that is just one shop in one town. If you we get the word out and we show the owner that we are serious he might be more wiling to help out.

It would be nice if we could use his loader, but if not I'm sure there are people that have equipment we can use. Even if we had to pitch in and rent a skid steer we could get A LOT of work done in a day with it and a good operator. We've got plumbers, carpenters, and electricians in our ranks that could help out.

There are people everywhere that have RC stuff that would love a track but don't know anything about this. The key is to get the word out and get people to show interest. It would be a mutually beneficial for everybody.

Just stuff to think about.
    axialcrawler
    axialcrawler
    Mini-T

Post  axialcrawler Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 am

luckly the owner has all the machinery we need and hes will to do what ever it takes to build this track and if hes in it for the money thats fine we will still all have a good place pepole are always saying they want somewares to race and get toghther and have fun so heres our chanch as long as pepole support it and the racing woul;d defently be one either sat or sun
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:57 am

saturday is best for me, but practice would be any day right?
    WheelMan
    WheelMan

Post  WheelMan Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:46 pm

axialcrawler wrote:luckly the owner has all the machinery we need and hes will to do what ever it takes to build this track and if hes in it for the money thats fine we will still all have a good place pepole are always saying they want somewares to race and get toghther and have fun so heres our chanch as long as pepole support it and the racing woul;d defently be one either sat or sun
    I don't think Bruce is going to let other people play with his equipment in his sand box. It is an insurance issue and I know if I was in his position, I wouldn't allow it. You might be able to get him to help build this track but I highly doubt he has the time or the spare funds to do so. The whole reason the track is asphalt is so he can spend more time away from the track and with his family. There was supposed to be a kart track built in the infield last year with a lot of teams looking to race there, it was not built. If for some miracle it does happen I am sure you will only be allowed to use it on a select day and time that he decides. He has to be at the track while you are there. He is not just going to allow people unsupervised into his place of business. Again, not trying to shoot this idea out of the sky but I am being a realist here. I know the guy personally and know how he works and conduct business.
    KyleC
    KyleC
    Micro-T

Post  KyleC Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 pm

i have to agree with wheelman i have been there with the old gokart track and with the modified and bruce can not be trusted i think it would be great for a track to be built but i too think other options should be looked at. this track has been falling apart and falling apart fast the past few years and many people are agreeing that with in the next year or two the track will be closed. bruce himself has said that the track will probably be sold in 3 to 5 years and that was over a year ago, there was almost a recent sale of the track that just fell through.

-Kyle
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 pm

newgenrc racing wrote:saturday is best for me, but practice would be any day right?
    im pretty sure that he can put up a sign that says "owner not responsible for injuries, use track at your own risk"
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm

KyleC wrote:i have to agree with wheelman i have been there with the old gokart track and with the modified and bruce can not be trusted i think it would be great for a track to be built but i too think other options should be looked at. this track has been falling apart and falling apart fast the past few years and many people are agreeing that with in the next year or two the track will be closed. bruce himself has said that the track will probably be sold in 3 to 5 years and that was over a year ago, there was almost a recent sale of the track that just fell through.

-Kyle
    but where else can we build it?
    KyleC
    KyleC
    Micro-T

Post  KyleC Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:32 pm

i dont have the answer for that but. i would hate to see all this work go in to a track and something happen like the track is sold, and i have been apart of several of the dirt oval builds in the area and know there is alot that goes in to putting a track together. i hate to be all doom and gloom but malta has been the topic of many and many of topics, dirttrackdigest.com, and sadly not much of it good. the owners there just cant be trusted. i think it is great that there is a move to build a track i just really think it would be best to look somewhere else, and i know easier said then done. i really wish luck on building a track and would like to help but i cant support a track there seen to many people along with my self screwed over by the owners there. once again not trying to be negitive im just try to make sure you are aware what is going on at what use to be the great race place.
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:46 pm

well the area at snh is way to small, so is there somewhere else where we can build it, that also has power, and a fast food place nearby for bathrooms. i really dont care wether or not we build it at the malta speedway, but before we build it, does anyone else know any place where we could build it?
    Robs Extreme rc
    Robs Extreme rc
    SCTE

Post  Robs Extreme rc Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:55 am

From What I have been reading the greater mass here needs to start an off road club with dues ($) and lease a space. No business or businessman would allow people onto their property without a charge to cover insurance at the very least. I understand that many people have pledged help on this track and would expect access to the fruits of their labors; but honestly anywhere other than a members private residents would have limitation on access. Ask yourselves if you had a track in your backyard would you want people there at any hour of the day running around it? In todays world if someone were to trip and break a leg marshalling a turn it a lawsuit or insurance claim. If it was a club with equal access and equal dues on a club leased and insured track the problems would be eased. Just a thought on an alternative to a malta track.
    orgnoi1
    orgnoi1
    MP9

Post  orgnoi1 Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Robs Extreme rc wrote:From What I have been reading the greater mass here needs to start an off road club with dues ($) and lease a space. No business or businessman would allow people onto their property without a charge to cover insurance at the very least. I understand that many people have pledged help on this track and would expect access to the fruits of their labors; but honestly anywhere other than a members private residents would have limitation on access. Ask yourselves if you had a track in your backyard would you want people there at any hour of the day running around it? In todays world if someone were to trip and break a leg marshalling a turn it a lawsuit or insurance claim. If it was a club with equal access and equal dues on a club leased and insured track the problems would be eased. Just a thought on an alternative to a malta track.

Good post... I dont race 1:1 at Malta but have also heard from numerous people about the situation there... way before the thought of a RC track idea came about... so I would proceed with EXTREME caution before I committed to anything... I can also speak to the experience of owning a track... its tough to keep up and I have had people "invite themselves" over because they think because I have the track its open game... its at my private residence and I am VERY selective about who I let come by and when...

If I were to do this on a public level I think Rob hit this right on the nose... I would look to the other clubs in the area such as CDRC and model a smaller club after how they do things... also I would consider someplace like Competition Hobbies again before someplace like Malta Speedway... CH HAD an outdoor offroad... but closed it due to lack of use... theres always a possiblity that they would reconsider that... also ask around to local land owners who have areas that arent in use and see about paying for the "rider" on their insurance for the RC events... either way its going to come down to having some sort of "group" for legitimatcy and some startup cash flow...
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:14 pm

orgnoi1 wrote:
    Robs Extreme rc wrote:From What I have been reading the greater mass here needs to start an off road club with dues ($) and lease a space. No business or businessman would allow people onto their property without a charge to cover insurance at the very least. I understand that many people have pledged help on this track and would expect access to the fruits of their labors; but honestly anywhere other than a members private residents would have limitation on access. Ask yourselves if you had a track in your backyard would you want people there at any hour of the day running around it? In todays world if someone were to trip and break a leg marshalling a turn it a lawsuit or insurance claim. If it was a club with equal access and equal dues on a club leased and insured track the problems would be eased. Just a thought on an alternative to a malta track.

Good post... I dont race 1:1 at Malta but have also heard from numerous people about the situation there... way before the thought of a RC track idea came about... so I would proceed with EXTREME caution before I committed to anything... I can also speak to the experience of owning a track... its tough to keep up and I have had people "invite themselves" over because they think because I have the track its open game... its at my private residence and I am VERY selective about who I let come by and when...

If I were to do this on a public level I think Rob hit this right on the nose... I would look to the other clubs in the area such as CDRC and model a smaller club after how they do things... also I would consider someplace like Competition Hobbies again before someplace like Malta Speedway... CH HAD an outdoor offroad... but closed it due to lack of use... theres always a possiblity that they would reconsider that... also ask around to local land owners who have areas that arent in use and see about paying for the "rider" on their insurance for the RC events... either way its going to come down to having some sort of "group" for legitimatcy and some startup cash flow...
    only problem is that unless we destroyed the oval at ch we wouldnt have nearly enough space, and i dont think thats happening anytime soon. so ya i agree that we couldnt do it in someones back yard, we would need some land. but where. and btw i think that if the rebuilt the off road track, with the popularity of short course as it is today i think it would thrive
    orgnoi1
    orgnoi1
    MP9

Post  orgnoi1 Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:50 pm

newgenrc racing wrote:only problem is that unless we destroyed the oval at ch we wouldnt have nearly enough space, and i dont think thats happening anytime soon. so ya i agree that we couldnt do it in someones back yard, we would need some land. but where. and btw i think that if the rebuilt the off road track, with the popularity of short course as it is today i think it would thrive

I absolutely agree with you... I was actually surprised how nice the track was when I went there and the owner said no one had used it and it was totally overgrown... from what I hear they have two ovals...so they should reconsider using one of them for at a minimum a SC class type track...
    newgenrc racing
    newgenrc racing
    Micro-T

Post  newgenrc racing Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 pm

good luck!, the only way we might be able to do that would be to get idk 50+ names saying they would use the track, but to do a large offroad track we would have to destroy.........both
    sweedespeed

this is a survey about a r/c dirt track  at malta speedway Empty Just a Thought

Post  sweedespeed Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 am

Not sure how practical, but what about the state land at pot ash MT. The land is already used by a few tubing companies, so the legality is established. There are plenty of great places for track setups, as far as power there is always generators, I know mine would supply more then enough for several people. There are portable bathrooms and plenty of parking, it is patroled state land so we would not need to deal with insurance, and it would be hard for the state to turn it down, at least for electric, not sure for Nitro. I could supply all the track barriers for free.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:18 pm