RC518.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to all the news, info, and happenings of all things radio controlled in the 518 area code.

*RC518 IS BACK AND ONLINE!!!!*

2 posters

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation

orgnoi1
    orgnoi1
    MP9

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Empty Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation

Post  orgnoi1 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:35 am

2010 Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy #94105
    Local Retail: $179.00
    Web Price: $139.00
    Local Parts Available
    Geared towards Beginner/Novice Nitro

When I decided that I would evaluate one of the Redcat vehicles I really wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into. It was nitro which wasn’t familiar with and also I haven’t owned a 4x4 buggy. Since Redcat gears this truck towards an entry level nitro user I am going to treat this eval just like I haven’t used RC cars before and just lay it all out on the line.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval01

Redcat seems to really want to please people by looks and the box is no exception. It is packed well and doesn’t have a ton of extra foam or cardboard.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval02

The Shockwave was incredibly easy to assemble as it’s just a wing mount with two body clips and putting batteries in both the receiver box and radio. One of my biggest pet peeves is that when you advertise as RTR… it should be. Not knowing much about nitro I didn’t realize at first that I would have to run right back out and grab a fueling bottle and glow-plug igniter. For an entry level truck I would rather see $10 added on the price and it comes all inclusive minus fuel.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval03

I opted to change out the red crystals for a lesser used brown and marked the truck so that we would have a clear indication during runs.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval04
    orgnoi1
    orgnoi1
    MP9

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Empty Re: Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation

Post  orgnoi1 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 am

Close-ups of the truck show both decent pluses and definite issues with both the build and looks. Shocks do not have an upper retaining screw on the ball and the pivot points are using pins with c-clips instead of screwed in mounts.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval05

Out of the box the truck seemed “tweaked” and the suspension seemed too upright compared to most buggies. The issues were all correctable with some quick loosening and adjustments though.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval06

One of the main issues was the body. It was probably the worst part of the vehicle (see “cons” section following) and took the most repair time of the whole vehicle. At the point of writing this the truck looks completely different from its original form.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval07

Is 1/10 or is it not? This truck is advertised as a 1/10 but sitting next to a 1/10 backslash it looks more like a 1/12 scale. The backslash actually sits at around the same measurements as an 1/8 scale though.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval08
    orgnoi1
    orgnoi1
    MP9

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Empty Re: Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation

Post  orgnoi1 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 am

Here are a couple of the finished pictures as the truck sits right now.

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval09

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval10

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval11

Redcat Shockwave 1/10 Buggy Evaluation Redcateval12

Overall Pros and Cons of the Buggy:

Pros:
    -Price
    -Looks
    -RTR
    -Decent beginner instructions
    -Once started ran through full tank with no stalling during break in
    -Aluminum parts and chassis
    -Progressive springs
    -CVD Driveline
    -Bumpbox capable
    -20-25mph Stock
    -Tracked well over uneven terrain
    -Needed very minor tuning adjustments
    -Ability to change suspension mount points

Cons:
    -Body
    ---Steering linkage hits body…had to cut
    ---Exhaust spray directed at body… had to cut
    ---Decals from factory are hap-hazard and not fully stuck
    ---Unable to fuel with body on…had to cut
    ---Body needs to be cut around cool head and pull starter for more efficient opening
    -Mechanical/Chassis
    ---Proprietary exhaust manifold
    ---Tires have no internal foam
    ---Tire glue not strong enough
    ---Pull starter location…hard to start buggy with body on
    ---Short “blue” fuel line...unable to see fuel
    ---Bushings instead of bearings
    ---Very low oil in shocks
    ---Throttle linkage hitting roll cage had to bend to fix
    ---Front shock tower bent within first two real runs
    ---Bent dogbones
    ---Missing both rear c-clips from retaining rods
    -Electronics/Misc
    ---No basic tools included
    ---Glitchy receiver
    drebies
    drebies
    Slash

Post  drebies Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:03 pm

....even for the price i still think its junk.
    at best even a beginner will have more problems with this truck,and end up spending close to what a "good buggy" will cost by the end of the day,maybe even frustrating a beginner to the point of giving up.....or starting over.
    i bought cheap stuff at the beginning and it sucked...i learned my lesson quick.
    all the cons are ridiculous....waste of money and time imo!
    save a little more money and get a "descent" one...major companies...traxxas,hpi,losi,...ect.
    ofna has quite a few buggies in alot of price ranges...

again this is my opinion but keep away from junk save for an extra few weeks or months whatever and buy quality...think about it your a beginner what do you know about tuning a suspension...tire glue strength,and missing e-clips...you just wanna get your hands on it and have fun...not tinker with it(out of the box),spend more money on necessary radio equipment,servos,tires,glue..ect. ect....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:24 am