RC518.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to all the news, info, and happenings of all things radio controlled in the 518 area code.

*RC518 IS BACK AND ONLINE!!!!*

3 posters

Connectors

Poll

What's the best conenctor?

[ 4 ]
    Connectors I_vote_lcap67%Connectors I_vote_rcap [67%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Connectors I_vote_lcap33%Connectors I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Connectors I_vote_lcap0%Connectors I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 6
    xanthra
    xanthra
    Mini-T

Connectors Empty Connectors

Post  xanthra Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:05 pm

I've got a mix of stuff with different connectors and I'm terrible with a soldering iron.

Dave @ Sci-Ho made me up some adapters so I could use batteries with deans in my Maxx, but of course I couldn't find one of them Wednesday night and had to wait around for my one set of Traxxas packs to charge : (

I guess I'd like to pick one kind of connector and convert everything so I can drive whatever and whenever.

Traxxas look easier to solder than Deans and have nice big plastic housings so they are easy to separate.

Deans are supposed to be high current, but they are small and a pain to unplug and there's nothing mechanical that I can see that holds the wires, just the solder joint.

I haven't seen any packs with bullets on them, but I'm thinking they may be easier to solder and handle.

So what do you guys run and what do you think?

-X
    orgnoi1
    orgnoi1
    MP9

Connectors Empty Re: Connectors

Post  orgnoi1 Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Deans are the best out of what you listed... I dont use them though on batteries... Since most of our trucks have traxxas we made them ALL traxxas... but I do use the deans plugs in line with the motor for quick connect/disconnect to replace...
    DaveESPI
    DaveESPI
    Ultima RB6

Post  DaveESPI Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:47 pm

It is personal preferance.

I dislike most connectors for various reasons.

I run deans because it has become more of an industry standard now in the hobby as opposed tothe TAMIYA molex connector of the late 1980s and has good solid connectivity.

I've used the Traxxas style,and they work fine,but I find they wear out fast and are not really re-useable once assembled.

Deans originaly were Orange, and the metal pins coated in gold. They were awesome, and expensive. I still have a few sets. The new deans conectors really are just mass produced "style" of connector now. The beauty is you have open post tat you can solder and unsolder for other uses.

I use bullets also in my flying applications.
    orgnoi1
    orgnoi1
    MP9

Post  orgnoi1 Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:17 pm

DaveESPI wrote:I've used the Traxxas style,and they work fine,but I find they wear out fast and are not really re-useable once assembled.

Dave I constantly reuse trx connectors...
    xanthra
    xanthra
    Mini-T

Post  xanthra Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:43 am

Hmmm. I'm thinking Traxxas, but I managed to crash my Maxx with enough force to unplug one of my Traxxas batteries today : ( I also read a good tip on another forum that sounds like it'd make deans easier to deal with : They recommended drilling a shallow hole in the plastic housings and then using circlip pliers to separate them. I think I'm gonna try that.

Also does anyone local stock these Deans XT connectors?
    http://www.giantcod.co.uk/deans-style-ultra-connector-plugs-pairs-p-403931.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:50 pm