RC518.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to all the news, info, and happenings of all things radio controlled in the 518 area code.

*RC518 IS BACK AND ONLINE!!!!*

2 posters

Spur Gears...

Poll

Plastic OR Aluminium spur gear

[ 2 ]
    Spur Gears... I_vote_lcap50%Spur Gears... I_vote_rcap [50%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Spur Gears... I_vote_lcap50%Spur Gears... I_vote_rcap [50%] 

Total Votes: 4
    jrich4x4
    jrich4x4
    Micro-T

Spur Gears... Empty Spur Gears...

Post  jrich4x4 Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:40 am

I have a Slash 4x4 & am on my 3rd spur gear ! affraid ! Just looking for some opinions on switching to the aluminium spur gear. Has anyone used one yet?? If I do switch to aluminium what else should I upgrade to avoid breaking more parts ?
    Mad Dog USA
    Mad Dog USA
    Mini-Z

Spur Gears... Empty ?? Backlash / Clearence .....

Post  Mad Dog USA Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:36 pm

How do you set the "Backlash" (Clearance) between the pinion and the bull (larger) gear?

This setting will have a LARGE impact on pinion gear performance....

too lose = less contact area and additional surface heat that will lead to early failure.

too tight = binding, motor bearing heat, gear tooth surface tearing, early failure.

Of course running the piss out of the car (Having Fun) also wears out well adjusted parts - fact of mechanical systems!

If you have a 0ne to Ten ratio and the gears are the same material (with proper backlash) the smaller gear in an un-lubricated drive will wear out eight to ten times faster than the larger gear.

If you put in a harder (metal) pinion gear, the gear ratio wear will be skewed by the relative hardness and the bull gear wear will be accelerated......

Bottom Line = keep spares on hand and examine the car before "the big race" :D

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:02 am